Sunday, September 19, 2010

Choose to Begin - Student Blogging Pt. 1

In the aim to simultaneously listen to what my students are asking for in writing instruction while allowing student choice, I have decided to move toward the use of student blogging. In earlier classwork students have expressed both an interest in multiple forms of writing and a value of choice, but also a pointed lack of experience in blogging beyond merely reading them. The hope then is to have instruction become paired with choice. In my own process of starting to blog the following Common Craft video provided a 'refresher' on what the basics of blogging are. 

The goal is to have students choose the way that they begin sharing their voice; something that is most likely tragically unique in the educational experience. To paraphrase a favorite poem of mine, I'd like for my students to choose to dare to disturb the universe, to choose to begin finding and sharing their voice. While any of the tutorial links below will provide a serviceable platform, I want them to find one that's more than merely serviceable - I want it to be theirs. And while we will both review the process outlined in Konrad Glogowski's great post on growing your blog, it's my hope that in coming up with their own metaphor they own their process and find voice. 

Some Possible Platforms

No comments:

Post a Comment